Sunday 25 March 2012

Custardy Goodness

Oh my word I have been a busy bee.

Last Friday we had Harmony Day at our work and I organised a morning tea for our floor whereby everyone had to bring a plate of something from their culture or one that they associate with. Traditionally being kiwi everyone thought that I would be making a Pav but alas I wanted to test my baking skills and made the most delish GIANT Custard Square!! (custard made from scratch I should add).


I searched high and low on the internet for the perfect recipe and in the end I merged a few together. Used the overall idea from http://ourkitchen.fisherpaykel.com/recipe/geoffs-mums-custard-square/ and found a custard recipe for the filling from http://www.lovelyrecipes.com/recipe.php?recipeid=4199.

Easy just sandwich the cooled custard filling between two sheets of cooked puff pastry and ice when cool.

Thick custard:
  • 600m1 full fat milk
  • 200m1 single cream
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 6 medium egg yolks
  • 100g caster sugar 
  • 4 level tbsp cornflour
Icing:
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 cups icing sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Water
  • Desiccated coconut

Step 1: Prick pastry sheets all over and cook for 8 mins at 180deg (or till slightly brown)

Step 2: Prep all ingredients (this is just the organised me coming out)

Step 3: Mix eggs with sugar and mix cornflour with 2 tbsp of water

Step 4: Add milk, cream and vanilla to a pot and heat slowly till ever so slighly bubbling

Step 5: Once milk mixture is ready add egg mixture slowly to the pot along with the cornflour mix. I cheated and used my trusty wizzmix. Have to do this slowly so the eggs don't scramble.

Step 6: Return pot to stove and simmer till it thickens - trick is to keep stirring so that it doesn't burn on the bottom.

Step 7: Once the custard has cooled and you have made the icing its time to assemble.

It was really hard not to consume the pot of custard this stuff is like liquid goodness! I am never buying premade or packet custard ever again. Yum really want some now. 

Enjoy.

Till next time.
Nic xx

No comments:

Post a Comment